Kopavogur Art Museum Gerdarsafn
Gerdarsafn is a progressive art museum that specialises in modern and contemporary art.
Located in an elegant building in the centre of Kópavogur, the second largest community in Iceland with 32.000 inhabitants. The museum was founded in the memory of sculptor Gerdur Helgadóttir (b. 1928), a pioneer of modern sculpture in Iceland. She is also known for her mosaics and stained glass, including the windows of the nearby Kópavogur Church.
The museum houses important collections of works by Barbara Árnason (b. 1911), Magnús Á. Árnason (b. 1894) and Valgerdur Briem (b. 1914). The private collection of Thorvaldur Gudmundsson and Ingibjörg Gudmundsdóttir, which includes many treasures of twentieth century Icelandic art, this is now in custody of the Kópavogur Art Museum.
Apart from exhibitions of its own collection, the museum mainly exhibits works by Icelandic artists. The museum hosts around 10 exhibitions annually. There are three exhibition halls in the museum. Two on the upper floor with overhead lighting; while the third, a multipurpose hall, is on the lower floor.
The museum store offers great pieces based on the works of Gerdur and was the first store of its kind to open in Iceland.